cost to rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost to rewire

I tried using builderscrack to get an estimate on how much it should cost to have an electrician re wire our kitchen - builderscrack could only estimate whole house rewiring

All of the wall linings are coming off, new outlets to be places int he appropreiate places

i have had varying quotes... in fact i got a quote last year when we first thought about doing the kitchen, Obviously that quote has expired, Got them to re quote and its 3x the original figure..

So there is existing wiring and outlets, A few mroe will be added, Old ones im guessing should be able to be re used -some the positions will change so it depends on what wiring is existing..

o noes, Its in the wrong category

Comment

I had a three bedroom bungalow rewired for about $5000. Apparently, this was a pretty good price.
      Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
        I had a three bedroom bungalow rewired for about $5000. Apparently, this was a pretty good price.
        WOW ! Had a two bedroom house rewired for $2200 last year and thought I was getting ripped off

Comment

It depends largely on what condition the existing wiring is in.
          If you want a few more outlets the electrician will probably have to run new circuits from the switchboard if the existing circuits do not have the capacity for more outlets which is usually the case in kitchens - lots of load from jugs, toasters, microwave etc.
          If your old wiring is tough rubber shielding type it will have to be replaced with tough plastic shielded cable.
          If you run new circuits they will have to be RCD protected - extending existing circuits does not require this.
          If you shift the stove or oven you are not allowed to hard wire it any more, you have to put a plug and lead on it which is expensive.

So what I am getting at here is that it all depends on how much you are going to change, get at least two quotes.
          Generally small self employed tradies are better for such jobs rather than using a big company like Aden or Aotea Electric.

Comment

The previous owner had been ripped off. Their electricians had installed just a few inches of new wire into places where they may have been visible i.e. what you can see when you remove a switch plate. The entire house needed to be stripped of wire and replaced, also the circuit board needed to be replaced. The place was a mess on the verge of an electrical fire.
            Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X