Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
    That said, Austro, how on earth does
    'high inflation' reduce a country's debt?
    Or make it difficult to reduce its debt?

Because, if high inflation does, in some
    perverse way, help reduce a nation's
    debt, does that not create a political
    incentive for governments to foster
    inflation, to the detriment of the gen-
    eral populace?
    If I can have a stab at it......

If you have debt inflation is your friend......inflation shrinks your debt.....the "numbers" stay the same but inflation erodes the "value" of those numbers

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

• Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
      Its interesting to see how national has been criticised for increased debt while people forget that When times were good th left wing government spent up large and decreased NZs ability to deal with a crisis Heres an loose analogy:
      It is also interesting how the same left wing government left the finances in a good shape allowing the right wing govenment that followed a lot of wiggle room in the debt they could amass.
      In the final days of the left wing government the right wing opposition was calling on the government to get rid of the surplus - which they didn't do.

Comment

• Originally posted by spaceman View Post
        If I can have a stab at it......

If you have debt inflation is your friend......inflation shrinks your debt.....the "numbers" stay the same but inflation erodes the "value" of those numbers

Cheers
        Spaceman
        And to put it even more simply--lets say you borrowed $20,000 to pay for part of your $50000 house in 1980.
        Your house is now worth $1,000,000 ---How is that $20,000 debt looking now?

Comment

• If inflation is lower than forecast, surely revenue forecasts for GST and income tax will also reduce.

Comment

• It is possible for inflation to only increase a bit (below target) and jobs and therefore tax to increase 9there are always exceptions.
            Most of the greatest areas of inflation (aside from house prices in some areas) are unfortunatly those things that we are levied(like rates-council charges-etc.)

Comment

Can some erudite forumite please explain how high inflation is
              necessary to achieve a current account surplus? Pretty please.
              Well, I'm pretty far from erudite on this matter, but after hearing some of the other theories, I'm keen to have a crack at it.

I'm not sure what they mean by "account surplus"? What account?, that's going to be important to the answer.
              I think I know what's getting drained out of the country.
              Here's the running clock (below) that shows what the country owes right this second. (about 92 600 000 000. New Zealand dollars.)
              So am I correct in thinking that a true "surplus" must be what we have left over after we pay that all back?

Find out who owns various types of New Zealand's national debt, who manages the country's debt, and why the country's debt-GDP ratio is so low.

Comment

• Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                I'm not sure what they mean by "account surplus"? What account?, that's going to be important to the answer.
                Budget surplus.
                Income greater than expenditure.

Comment

• As I see it, blenglish is talking about what the gummint earns
                  in taxes and excise, etc., and what it spends on whatever. So
                  I see that as a very short cycle - one that is not materially
                  affected by inflation. I.e. I suspect that tax revenue is spent
                  as fast as it comes in, with borrowings making up any shortfall.

The more I think about it, the less I'm persuaded that inflation
                  is economic growth under another name. To me, inflation is
                  the erosion in purchasing power of a currency unit, rather
                  than some abstruse indicator of a country's prosperity.
                  Originally posted by skid
                  And to put it even more simply--lets say you borrowed $20,000
                  to pay for part of your $50000 house in 1980. Your house is now
                  worth $1,000,000 ---How is that $20,000 debt looking now?
                  But what's the difference in the borrower's wages and other
                  financial circumstances over those 34 years? That's in addition
                  to the likely collapse in the purchasing power of money, over
                  that time. According to the RBNZ inflation calculator, the
                  factor is 4.52. I.e. $4.52 needed to buy in 2014, what $1
                  bought in 1980. And interest rates back around those eighties?

Over 20%, as reported in another thread hereabouts.

I'm no closer to grasping why blenglish needs greater inflation
                  than the present figure, in order to balance his books.

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                    Budget surplus.
                    Income greater than expenditure.

Ah, O.K. So the word "surplus" is the first lie.
                    There is NO surplus, we're ninety million dollars in debt. (see post #3882)
                    We should look into their specific budget claim - with the firm idea that it's not a surplus, but really some sort of lessened debt.
                    First (consider the graph above), it might be nice to see how our "ACTUAL"debt changed over the recent past, and what National and the World were doing at that time.
                    Last edited by McDuck; 21-11-2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by McDuck
                      Ah, O.K. So the word "surplus" is the first lie.
                      There is NO surplus, we're ninety million dollars in debt. (see post #3882)
                      I wonder if you are confusing internal debt with o'seas indebtedness?
                      And that's gov't internal versus external debt, excluding private debt.

Comment

I wonder if you are confusing internal debt with o'seas indebtedness?
                        And that's gov't internal versus external debt, excluding private debt.
                        Rest assured Perry, I will be looking at the small picture, as soon as the big picture is locked down.
                        I mean, what member of a family can be in surplus while the whole family is in debt.

Comment

As I see it, blenglish is talking about what the gummint earns
                          in taxes and excise, etc., and what it spends on whatever.
                          Right.! You're a good man Perry, and I can see we are both interested in the truth behind the picture Bilgy paints.
                          Just so that you aren't too harsh on him, we have to bear in mind that he's only studied a bit of Business and Writing at school.

looking at your summation ( in blue above) I couldn't make a good mental picture of some object like a government. (Gummint (ha very good)). So it had to be a cluster of (probably imaginary) objects. But what ??
                          After a bit of rummaging around I came up with the word "state".
                          A good starting point.

" for most of human history, people have lived in stateless societies, characterized by a lack of concentrated authority, and a lack of large inequalities in economic and political power." "For 98% of the time they lives in autonomous bands and villages.3000 years ago there were 600,000 of these free units". wiki. Ha!, really takes the edge off the word "Armageddon" when you think of it.
                          Last edited by McDuck; 22-11-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Good work on becoming cashflow positive - or at least very close to it.
                            Only after day to day bills are paid can the mortgage principle be addressed.
                            Shame about the the opportunities the NZ Super Fund missed out on due to contributions being stopped however.

Generally, well done to Mr English and his team.
                            Last edited by speights boy; 22-11-2014, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                              Good work on becoming cashflow positive - or at least very close to it.
                              Only after day to day bills are paid can the mortgage principle be addressed.
                              Shame about the the opportunities the NZ Super Fund missed out on due to contributions being stopped however.

Generally, well done to Mr English and his team.
                              Is Bill English making these claims as himself, or on behalf of his department, or as spokesperson for the Governments financial aspect?
                              How will we decide if a job has been well done without first understanding the mechanism of the task or the outcome preferred?

Blury thinking my friend, time to sharpen it up.

Comment

I'm no closer to grasping why blenglish needs greater inflation
                                than the present figure, in order to balance his books.
                                Come to think of it Perry, I'm going to loose everyone while I try and figure out the complexity of the interconnecting mechanisms of economy.
                                I'll also need to consider the physical properties they posses and the words that are best to convey them.
                                Then run all that against the spun words of ministers.

So how about a blunt idea instead.

Govt gets less tax if people spend less on things?
                                People spend less on things if those things are less expensive.

The phrase "rob Peter to pay Paul" comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X