Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
    There is. It's called a window.
    How well windows work in bathrooms to prevent mould build up depends on how big the bathroom is compared with the size of the window.

My bathroom window is permanently open 24-7. That combined with an extractor fan did not prevent mould starting to appear just after a few weeks of having a new fitout and a new paint job. Installed a shower dome over three years ago......not a spot of mould to date.

Comment

agree TheLbibrary and I could think of many more reasons why the window option is a failure..

Comment

Ideally steam needs to be sucked out before condensing. Once condensed, it's too late, and it then has to be evaporated and removed. The fans normally installed are far too small for the job and only help a bit if allowed to run long enough to do the evaporation. The grunty quiet fans need big ducts and a bit of forethought. Your builder will likely think you're being stupid. Duh.
        Letting cold air in while showering speeds up condensation, so not 100% beneficial, as warm air holds more moisture. Best to suck warm air from from inside the house. That way passers by can't poke their head in the window either.
        Showers deliver miles more steam than baths, so don't bother looking for a bath dome.

Comment

Showerdomes cut down steam, cut down water temperature for showering and help with water heating bills.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Our bathroom is fully tiled and I used to leave the window open 24/7 when we were at home. Problem was that over winter it was much like showering in the middle of the lawn, it was so freezing cold. Didn't help that it has an open shower and lousy water pressure. Wish we could have a proper shower with a shower dome, would be a no-brainer for me.

Comment

In order of effectiveness:

Shower dome
              Big extractor fan
              Little extractor fan
              Open window

Either one of Shower Dome or large extractor fan will do the job alone
              as long as they are used properly. Neither are foolproof.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitibeanman View Post
                In order of effectiveness:

Shower dome
                Big extractor fan
                Little extractor fan
                Open window

Either one of Shower Dome or large extractor fan will do the job alone
                as long as they are used properly. Neither are foolproof.
                You have missed one....

I have just painted out bathroom with Mould free paint... 5 year guarantee against mould.
                There's a few of these products out now..
                Not sure how well it works as its my first trial with it... But if it does what its supposed to do there would be no need for anything else..
                Saying that, Im not prepared to risk it, hence the addition of the shower dome...
                In conjunction with the two, problemo should be permanently solved...

Which begs the question, anyone else tried the newer mould free paints that are currently available?

Comment

Belt and braces, always a good idea.

Comment

I've had them fitted in rental properties and it all but eliminates condensation in the bathroom. It basically prevents steam from forming in the warmed shower cubicle (google how steam forms) and the only downsides are the aesthetics and having to maintain / clean it now and then.

Comment

• aesthetics?? Eh? I thought they added to the look of the shower? Am I the only one that thinks that way???

Comment

• Originally posted by friendly_prawn View Post
                        You have missed one....

I have just painted out bathroom with Mould free paint... 5 year guarantee against mould.
                        Is the problem the moisture in the house or the mould on the ceiling? I see the problem as the moisture in the house and will take measures to remove it. Anti mould paint is more like the seat belt on the car, not the braking system. I want both the brakes and the seat belt to work but I hope I never actually need the seat belt.
                        Last edited by DazRaz; 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                          Is the problem the moisture in the house or the mould on the ceiling? I see the problem as the moisture in the house and will take measures to remove it. Anti mould paint is more like the seat belt on the car, not the braking system. I want both the brakes and the seat belt to work but I hope I never actually need the seat belt.
                          Hi DazRaz I think you are getting two separate issues mixed up...
                          The topic of this thread is about shower dome.. ie: getting rid of mould in bathrooms..

Comment

• And with that, no shower dome for us.. The guy said the way our shower is made, we wouldn't be able to open and shut the shower doors once a shower dome is fitted... Just as well I didn't go ahead and rip the silly lit fan out...

Comment

• Well there go the braces, good that you've got a belt.

I did try anti mould paint many years ago, it might have helped. I'm picking
                              today's anti-mould is better.

DazRaz is right though, better to eliminate the cause if you can.

Comment

• "DazRaz is right though, better to eliminate the cause if you can"

Cool idea.. I'll rip the shower out tonight lol

Comment

Working...
                                X