• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Report on House Prices - March 2008 - DPMC

DPMC being Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Includes an interesting analysis of the impact of the tax system on the housing sector, including the suggestion that increasing the top marginal rate to 39% "may have encouraged some additional investment in rental housing".

Sounds like Labour's decsion to increase the tax on "rich pricks" has contributed to the increase in housing costs. Who'd have thunk it! (I know it partly influences my investment decisions.)

The report is here:

http://www.dpmc.govt.nz/dpmc/publica...ort/hpr-6.html

Interesting - this graph

illustrates nicely the effect of inflation in the 70s - there was a post recently with a graph from Barfoots showing the interminable rise of property prices.
    DFTBA

and a great quote for those who believe the the Property Investor enjoys tax advantages

the tax system tends to favour more investment in owner-occupied housing and less in other types of assets.
    DFTBA

Quote Originally Posted by cube View Post
    Interesting - this graph

illustrates nicely the effect of inflation in the 70s - there was a post recently with a graph from Barfoots showing the interminable rise of property prices.

What?

this graph seems to say that the more people move around the more house prices go up, or visa versa..or there is another or several factors steering both.

all you can really say from that graph is that one reflects the other fairly well.

What has that to do with inflation?

McDuck, the point is the graph shows house prices with the effects of inflation removed. IE the "real" price movement. This is a markedly different picture from the graphs of property with inflation included, which are oft used to support the claim that "property never loses value"

The graph is highlighting the high correlation between immigration (or lack of) and house prices.
    Last edited by brettc; 14-03-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: atrowshus speeling

Sorry, I didn't clarify what I was thinking.

Because the chart shows the movement in Real House Prices, we can see that, for an extended period in the 70s and 80s, prices were dropping by 20-30$ per year, as a result of high inflation and slow/stagnant nominal prices, so Barfoot's chart, which showed nominal price increases, looked better than this view.

cube
    DFTBA

The graph is highlighting the high correlation between immigration (or lack of) and house prices.
    .. and house price inflation, to be strictly accurate!
    DFTBA

That makes for some pretty sobering reading. If that big down period lasted from roughly Mar-76 to Mar-82 then prices fell year on year approximately 25% per year for 6 years! So a house that started out at $100k would be worth approx $23k by the end of that time. Is this what really happened, or was this a period of massive inflation that disguised reality?

Also, does anyone have info about the great depression and how that compares to the graph above?

Gerrard

I bought my first IP (2 flats in Petone) in 81 (aged 19). My next one was in 87, another in 91, last two for this cycle in 98 and 00.
    A lot of people say you can't time the market, but if you only buy at the end of the dips, the rest takes care of itself.

It's a good plan for a conservative PI investor like me, but you need to have patience and research. All this gungho(?) chicken dance stuff going on for the past 5 years is the antithesis of how I like to invest.

This cycle has been the most exuberant I have seen, the loose credit has been pretty amazing to see, and I expect a contrasting long-winded correction with a sharp reversal in credit availability.
    Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Quote Originally Posted by cube View Post
    Because the chart shows the movement in Real House Prices, we can see that, for an extended period in the 70s and 80s, prices were dropping by 20-30$ per year,

cube
    Ummmm.
    You're reading the wrong scale.
    Try looking at the right hand side.
    House prices dropped by 10% for a few years.
    After scooting up by almost 30% previously.

Notice that the area above zero is larger than the area under zero.
    This indicates the infamous 7% average capital gain is present.
    Last edited by tricky; 14-03-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: correction

Thread Information