Architect or Draughtsman??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architect or Draughtsman??

What type of differences are there between the 2? How would you compare the cost? Looking to add 2 rooms on an existing dwelling. Is it normal for them to go through the whole building consent process or do I do that? or is that an 'added' service? Thanks

Architect is to Draughtsman as;
    Chartered Accountant is to Tax Consultant.

The architect does the same things but belongs to a professional body that requires certain types of training and service. Usually more expensive.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

For the new build I did in 2006, I got a draughtsman to draw up my own very rough home drawn plans, definitely not a box, quite a lot of unusual angles.
      He did all the work, plans etc. and got my consents through for $2,500+GST.
      An additional engineers cost for some beams was $600.

I thought it was great value.
      Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Hi, Im an architectural technician in a large company and if I may add my two cents. Either a draughtsperson or architect can handle the consent process for you. How much you want to do yourself is up to you. An architect does cost more. If you can, find a draughtsperson who has some talent, usually someone who is out working on their own, it will make a big difference in cost. The consent paper work itself is not a huge task once you know how, doing it yourself wont save much.
        Have fun

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Also, just got drawn up (through a project manager) a set of plans for a 266 sqm 2 storey home. Pretty standard home. Done by a draughtsman for $4800 + gst. Does this sound about right re cost? Seems a bit more than your one Gatekeeper. Engineers were seperate.

Comment

For a house that size (266 sqm) you would be looking at $375-400K (assuming $1500 sqm)
            an architect at 4% would be $15,000 some charge up to 8/10% for full contract admin.
            a draughtsman would be about half that amount $7,500
            so yes, you have got a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by pl View Post
              Thanks for your replies. Also, just got drawn up (through a project manager) a set of plans for a 266 sqm 2 storey home. Pretty standard home. Done by a draughtsman for $4800 + gst. Does this sound about right re cost? Seems a bit more than your one Gatekeeper. Engineers were seperate.
              Sounds good. Mine was a small dwelling.
              Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

The plans were pretty standard anyway, so I think they just used an existing plan. Only requirement I had was 5 bedrooms, and only made a couple of cosmetic changes. So still easy money for the draughtsman??

Comment

Can anyone here recommend a draftperson? I have a piece of work that I need done that does not really need an Architect
                  Living a more meaningful & enhanced life with investments, business and blogging. www.theFIminator.com

Comment

Post a job on builderscrack.co.nz. Some good ones on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
                      Post a job on builderscrack.co.nz. Some good ones on there.
                      those sites are bollocks

Comment

I have found good tradeys and an architect on there. Having public reviews helps. Certainly not bollecks in Auckland anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X