Flip This House - more script than reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip This House - more script than reality

I've seen a few references to the US program "flip this house" over the last few days. Having seen reports that shows like wife swap use mischievous tactics to magnify the quirks in one's personality I wasn't too shocked to see that "flip this house" uses some staged scenes.

It's not nice though when the dupes lead people to lose significant amounts of money - either directly or purely because they've followed someone's advice.

Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aG5G38GzhU
    and the reporters blog: http://community.myfoxatlanta.com/bl..._they_know_it4
    Charging enough rent?
    NZ Scams to Avoid
    Add a sleepout to your rental property

Flip This House

sarahk,

I was a huge fan of "Flip This House" when it originally aired. In fact the first company featured, 'Trademark Properties' is still going strong and is very reputable in the industry. I have also had discussions with the owners of "Fortune Builders" the New Haven company, to partner on projects. They have proven themselves over the years as well. As for the other representatives on the show, for example, the San Antonio company, there is not much positive words to share.

I feel bad for the good companies that have been featured on the show to be overshadowed by the bad companies and people.

Comment

Dave Ramsey was also a part of that show at one point, his company and education are solid and he, funnily enough, flips a lot of houses :-)

Comment

Dean,

What group was Dave Ramsey with? I must have missed that one.

Comment

do any of you know how I can watch the Flip this HOuse episodes online? I'm interested in watching them

Comment

I am to new to post links, but I just went to A&E's site (aetv.com/flipthishouse) This should work... it has videos, and a link to full episodes.

Comment

^^^

Thanks for sharing the link. Good work.

Comment

That's reality TV for you.

Originally posted by sarahk View Post
                I've seen a few references to the US program "flip this house" over the last few days. Having seen reports that shows like wife swap use mischievous tactics to magnify the quirks in one's personality I wasn't too shocked to see that "flip this house" uses some staged scenes.

It's not nice though when the dupes lead people to lose significant amounts of money - either directly or purely because they've followed someone's advice.

Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aG5G38GzhU
                and the reporters blog: http://community.myfoxatlanta.com/bl..._they_know_it4

The producers of these shows have gotten lazy, and they're stripping out the reality that makes any good reality TV show interesting. I'd be more inclined to keep tuning in if they just kept finding houses with unique challenges and solving them rather than trying to develop "characters" by staging scenes.

I do think you can get into questionable territory by not realistically portraying the type of return people should be expecting on their investment though. I mean, not everyone is flipping houses as a business. Some people are putting their entirely livelihood on the line, thinking that they'll come out ahead like these guys, who seem to have a happy ending nearly every episode.

Comment

Flip men is a new one from last year and this year

Comment

I have never believed in Realty bit of these shows.Everything is contrived for the show.Remember it is a 'show'
                    Homes For Sale in USA I | Home Loans I | Home Renovation Tips

Comment

There sure are a lot of scammers out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X