Tenancy Database.... THis is what we need in NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy Database.... THis is what we need in NZ

The Real Estate Institute of Australia (REIA) has called for the introduction of a set of national guidelines to be established for tenancy databases. Tenancy databases hold information about tenants who may have breached their lease terms or conditions. They are often used by real estate agents to determine the suitability of a prospective tenant.

In theory, if a tenant complies with the terms of their lease they will not be listed on a tenancy database.

In recent weeks one major tenancy database operator was found to be in breach of the Privacy Act because some tenant information it held was incorrect or was not being updated in a timely manner.

The REIA believes if there was nationally consistent regulation controlling the operation of tenancy databases, breaches would be less likely to occur.

President of the Real Estate Institute of Australia, Ms Kareena Ballard, said, “Findings announced this week by the Federal Privacy Commissioner of breaches of the Privacy Act by a tenancy database operator could be avoided if a nationally consistent framework for regulation was introduced”.

“This regulatory framework would ensure the efficient and effective use of tenancy databases, and would provide protection for all stakeholders including the consumer and the real estate industry”, Ms Ballard said.

The REIA says the regulatory framework should be established with the help of consumers, federal and state governments, unions, real estate agents, database operators and tenancy tribunals.

The Commonwealth and State Governments are currently undertaking a review of tenancy databases and are expected to announce their findings in coming months.

Hi PAD,
    I would like to know more about what you find regarding this topic...especially if you hear of any announcements regarding the NZ market. I will keep checking here, or you can email me directly on [email protected]
    I have to say this is the first I have heard of this. It is a good idea though. Where did you get this information??

Rachel

Comment

Hi Guys
      Have you heard about www.tenant.net.nz?
      Launched at the end of last year. Not very well known among private landlords but hundreds of real estate branches are now linking together to share tenant references and defaults, and it is open to private landlords.

Comment

Working...
      X